Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) allows students to transfer or earn Penn State credit towards degree requirements through exams, military and work experience, or non-college activities that demonstrate college-level learning.
Credit By Exam
Students may request an examination as a substitute for completing the usual requirements of a course.
- May not be used to earn credit for a course previously completed with a quality letter grade (including courses that were failed).
- May not be attained on the satisfactory grading system.
- Credit by examination may not be possible for some courses.
- Grades of “C” or above must be attained to receive credit for the course.
- No notation is made on the student’s record if a grade of “D” or “F” is earned.
- A $30 per credit fee is charged for the exam, regardless of the final grade.
If you're interested in exploring Credit By Exam, please complete the form below.
Credit By Portfolio
Students interested in receiving credit for college-level learning gained outside the classroom may complete a portfolio that demonstrates mastery of a particular Penn State course.
- Must be an undergraduate, degree-seeking student who is not in their first or last semester.
- Portfolios are course-specific, and students are limited to one or two courses (3-6 credits) per submission.
- There is a $390 fee to cover the costs of the review, regardless of whether credit is awarded.
- Students wishing to earn credit by portfolio must be prepared to describe, reflect, and synthesize their learning experiences carefully.
If you're interested in exploring Credit By Portfolio, please complete the form below.