Students should carefully consider all the consequences of leaving Penn State before they complete the process. There are ramifications for financial aid, loan repayments, and health insurance. In addition, there are processes that must be followed when a student determines that he or she is ready to return to the University. Once a student makes that decision, he or she should follow the appropriate process:
- If the semester has not begun and you have decided that you will not be attending the University, you should cancel your registration.
- If the semester has not begun and you have decided that you will be leaving the University temporarily (for one or two semesters), you should request a leave of absence.
- Once the semester begins, you must withdraw.
Students who are leaving Penn State should also do the following:
- Contact the Bursar regarding any outstanding account balances.
- If you have a housing contract, consult with the Housing Office at your campus to cancel the contract.
- If you have a loan, complete the student loan exit interview.
If you are an international student in F-1 status or in J-1 status whose DS-2019 was issued by Penn State's Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising (DISSA) office, please complete the exit form if you are leaving the University temporarily or permanently.
Military Leave of Absence, Military Withdrawal, and Military Drop
Students who have yet to begin classes when their military service obligation becomes known are eligible to be placed on Military Leave of Absence (MLOA) status for a period not to exceed five (5) years. Students who have begun classes when their military obligation commences can fully withdraw from all their courses using a Military Withdrawal (MW) or continue with a reduced course load using a Military Drop (MD) for a portion of their courses. The MD is intended to provide students maximum flexibility to complete courses by maintaining a partial schedule. Please visit the Military Leave of Absence, Military Withdrawal, and Military Drop page for more information.