- Acquire the information needed to assume final responsibility for course scheduling, program planning, and the successful completion of all graduation requirements.
- Explore educational opportunities at Penn State by learning more about their [intended] major and evaluating the fit of their interests and abilities with their [intended] program.
- Engage in planning prior to meetings with academic advisers using relevant tools and resources, such as the University Bulletin, Suggested Academic Plans, and degree audits.
- Meet regularly with an assigned academic adviser to discuss goals, plans, the suitability of other educational opportunities provided by the University, academic progress, challenges, and concerns.
- Seek a variety of opportunities and information needed to set and achieve educational goals.
- Become knowledgeable about the relevant policies, procedures, and rules of the University, college, and academic program.
- Use the logic of the curriculum to integrate learning across all educational experiences.
- Engage students in an active discussion of their educational and career objectives with the intent of helping students to understand the range of educational opportunities available at Penn State.
- Help students to better understand the logic of the curriculum and the relationships among educational opportunities such as General Education courses, University requirements, programs, undergraduate research opportunities, internships, study abroad programs, and other academic experiences.
- Help students to understand the nature of the University’s academic programs and to understand the expected standards of achievement and the likelihood of success in certain areas of study.
- Assist students in addressing concerns affecting their academic progress and make referrals to appropriate support services.
- Ensure that students are aware of appropriate University procedures and policies, and help students understand their purpose and rationale.
- Help students to plan a course of study and give advice about courses and the adjustment of course loads.
- Complete consistent electronic documentation of advising interactions in the “student advising system” as Penn State is based on mobility within the institution. A cohesive record of students’ movement through the institution is necessary to provide a consistent and strong advising experience.
- Actively reach out to students as interventions are needed, and provide timely responses to concerns raised by the student or others in a student’s support network.
- Create an inclusive environment that welcomes and supports all students.
- Participate in ongoing professional development to keep informed of and current with advising practice and University policies.
- Where appropriate, contribute to and engage in the scholarship of teaching, learning, and advising.