About the Sheetz Fellows Program
The Sheetz Fellows Program was established in 2009 as part of a historic gift to Penn State Altoona by Steve and Nancy Sheetz. Steve and Nancy recognize the importance of diversity, and in developing the program understood how it would benefit from a diverse student base.
Program membership comprised of differing socio-economic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds allows students to learn from one another and develop ethical principles and intercultural awareness.
The Sheetz Fellows Program was designed to prepare students to be leaders by exposing them to real-world projects through servant leadership activities. Students are challenged to undertake a rigorous and stimulating academic load while also taking advantage of experiential education opportunities through study abroad, internships, and professional development activities.
This transformative engagement program offers enrichment for students in every major.
Requirements to Receive the Scholarship
The scholarship is limited; not all students who meet eligibility requirements will receive the scholarship. Preference is given to students from Blair, Bedford, Cambria, Huntingdon, and Somerset counties.
To receive the scholarship, you must:
- Be admitted to Penn State Altoona as a full-time student.
- Enroll in the Sheetz Fellows Program by scheduling ENTR 496 at New Student Orientation.
- Have a minimum high school GPA of 3.00.
- Letter of recommendation
These documents must be uploaded before the online application can be submitted.
Essay Topic (500 words or less)
Describe your socio-cultural background, relevant life experiences and circumstances, and how you see them relating to this scholarship. For example, what makes you an ideal candidate for this scholarship? How has your diverse heritage shaped who you are? How would this scholarship relieve financial obstacles?
Timeline for Selection
The Scholarship Committee will review scholarship applications and make awarding decisions by April 1.
- This award is for full in-state tuition.
- The scholarship may be renewed for up to four years.
- Please note, when receiving any type of financial award, other financial aid may be impacted.
To renew the scholarship for future academic years, students must:
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of at least 3.00.
- Earn at least 24 credit hours each academic year.
- Be enrolled or seeking enrollment in the Sheetz Fellows Program at Penn State Altoona.
- Meet/maintain requirements of Sheetz Fellows Program.