General Award Information
The following is an outline of the Discover Penn State Award available at our Commonwealth Campuses (campuses other than University Park and World Campus):
|Student Type||Penn State Years 1 and 2||Penn State Years 3 and 4||Total Value of Award|
|First-Year Associate (two-year degree)||$6,000 per academic year ($3,000 per semester)||Not Available unless student enrolls in four-year program, then eligible to keep award||$12,000 two-year value (unless student enrolls in four-year program|
|First-Year Baccalaureate (four-year degree)||$6,000 per academic year ($3,000 per semester)||$7,000 per academic year ($3,500 per semester)||$26,000 four-year value|
|Transfer Student||$6,500 per academic year ($3,250 per semester)||$6,500 for one academic year ($3,250 per semester), if applicable, based on timing of transfer||$19,500 three-year value (maximum of three consecutive years on award)|
- Students must reside in: Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia, as well as the District of Columbia (other out-of-state residents are not eligible for this award)
- Recipients must be NEW undergraduate first-year or transfer students to the University
- Students do not have to apply for the award – they are automatically considered
- Award cannot be combined with the Provost’s Award
First consideration will be given to first-year students who:
- Have a complete application on file by November 30 for the following academic year (summer/fall) semester or for the immediately following spring semester as a new first-year applicant.
- Select a Commonwealth Campus as one of their campus choices on the application for admission (first choice or alternate choice)
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by December 1.
First consideration will be given to transfer students who:
- Have a complete application on file by May 1 for the following academic year (summer/fall).
- Select a Commonwealth Campus as their first-choice campus on the application of admission.
- Select a Commonwealth Campus major/pre-major on the application of admission.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be enrolled at any Commonwealth Campus;
- Be in good academic standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0) at the end of the spring semester of each academic year;
- Complete a minimum of 24 credits per academic year.
Note: Students with offers of admission to University Park or World Campus are not eligible for this award. Additionally, students who plan to transition to University Park through the 2+2 plan or to World Campus are not eligible to retain the award at University Park or World Campus.
Students meeting the outlined eligibility guidelines for first consideration for the summer/fall semester will receive notice of the award during aid awarding in early February, when financial aid awarding begins. Spring admits and transfer students will be awarded on a rolling basis.
Award and Campus Benefits
- With 19 Commonwealth Campuses across the state of Pennsylvania, we are sure you can find your Penn State fit – Research our campuses
- Campuses offer a wide variety of four-year baccalaureate programs from which students can choose – Review Campus Majors.
- Students earn a degree from Penn State, regardless of their chosen major or campus.
- Students are able to earn their degree at considerable savings, particularly when compared to another out-of-state institution.
- Students already save approximately $10,000-15,000 in tuition annually at a campus.
- Adding the award, students can save $16,000-22,000 annually on their degree.
If you have more questions regarding the Discover Penn State Award, please contact the campus to which you have been admitted or your campus of interest. View the full campus list.