Becoming a Resident Assistant
What is a resident assistant?
A resident assistant (RA) is an undergraduate student who resides within the residence halls and has frequent and direct communication with resident students. RAs are trained to respond to any problems ranging from roommate conflicts, to homesickness, to more serious situations.
RAs serve as role models and leaders for the entire campus. They have a great influence on the social and academic development of their residents. They are usually the first contact for students and act as a liaison between the residents and the professional staff.
Additionally RAs deal with community living, crisis situations and provide outlets for the residents through educational and community building programs.
For more details, read the Resident Assistant Program Description.
Why should you be a resident assistant?
If you want to make a difference in your campus community you should definitely consider becoming a Resident Assistant.
As an RA you will:
- Become more involved on campus
- Develop skills that are transferable to other jobs
- Grow personally
- Provide a helping hand to others
- Make an impact at Penn State Altoona
- Gain leadership experience
- Develop new friendships
- Improve your organization and time management skills
We are looking for students who can be: leaders, mediators, policy enforcers, motivators, and provide a helping hand to fellow students. If you would like to do this, join our team!
Process to become a Resident Assistant
- Attend an information session in September.
- Complete an online application.
- Be invited to enroll in the three credit Role of a Resident Assistant course.
- Offer may follow after successful participation in the class with a grade of "B" or better, recommendation from instructor and availability of positions.
* In order to be considered for a Resident Assistant position candidates must maintain a 2.4 GPA and have completed a background check.
Benefits of being a resident assistant
- Free Meal Plan
- Tuition Stipend
- Free Room and Board
- Leadership Skills
- Resume Builder
- Presentation Skills
- Mediation Skills
- Teambuilding Skills
- New Friends and Personal Challenges!