ALTOONA, Pa. — Penn State Altoona will present a series of Common Read events throughout the 2021-22 academic year. Events will highlight and explore themes featured in this year’s Common Read selection, “Ghostographs" by Maria Romasco Moore.
The following events are free and open to the public:
- “Ghostographs and Ecosystem Health: The Past, Present, and Future of Seminar Forest,” presented by Carolyn Mahan, professor of biology, and Todd Davis, professor of English and environmental studies. Monday, Sept. 13, from 4 to 5 p.m. at Seminar Forest.
- “The Phantoms of Time and Light,” presented by Gary Weisel, professor of physics. Wednesday, Sept. 22, from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Edith Davis Eve Chapel.
- “Why Seeing Should Not Always Be Believing…Ways our Eyes Lie To Us,” presented by John Conner, technical director and assistant teaching professor of theater arts. Wednesday, Sept. 29, from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Wolf Kuhn Theatre of the Misciagna Family Center for Performing Arts.
- “'Every Story is A Ghost Story’: How I Created ‘Ghostographs’ and other Creative Insights,” a talk and reading presented by Common Read author Maria Romasco Moore. Thursday, Oct. 7, from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Wolf Kuhn Theatre of the Misciagna Family Center for Performing Arts.
- “Ghosts from Our Pasts: A Creative Excavation.” Tuesday, Oct. 12, from 10:35 to 11:50 a.m. in rooms 101-103 of the Misciagna Family Center for Performing Arts.
- “Ghosts from Campuses Past: Sharing your Penn State Altoona Experience with Future Students Through the Library’s Archives.” Wednesday, Oct. 20, from 6 to 8 p.m. in room 202 of the Eiche Library.
- “Dare I Mingle with Shadows,” presented by KT Huckabee, teaching professor of integrative arts and dance, and Sam Tanner, associate professor of literacy education. Thursday, Nov. 4, from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. in the Wolf Kuhn Theatre of the Misciagna Family Center for Performing Arts.
- “Family Jewels: The Photographs, Dissections, and Recombinations of #365Grams,” an exhibition in the Sheetz Gallery, presented by Rebecca Strzelec, distinguished professor of visual arts. Thursday, Feb. 10, from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. in the Titelman Study of the Misciagna Family Center for Performing Arts.
Common Read is sponsored by Penn State Altoona’s Division of Arts and Humanities. More information and a listing of events will be posted on the Common Read website as it becomes available. Read more about Maria Romasco Moore on the author's website.