Academic advising promotes intellectual discovery, encourages students to take advantage of both in-and out-of-class educational opportunities, and helps them to identify and achieve their goals. In addition, advising supports students’ successful navigation of the University’s academic opportunities, policies, systems, and procedures. Working with advisers, students assume responsibility for their education and become lifelong, self-directed learners, and decision-makers. Academic advising is a collaborative teaching relationship among academic advisers, students, faculty, and the University community.
- Acquire information needed to assume final responsibility for course scheduling, program planning, and the successful completion of all graduation requirements.
- Learn more about an intended major and evaluate the fit of a major with individual interests and abilities.
- Use tools and resources (e.g., University Bulletin, Suggested Academic Plans, Degree Audits).
- Become knowledgeable about University policies and procedures and rules of the college and academic program.
- Seek opportunities and information at Penn State needed to set and achieve educational goals.
- Meet regularly with an assigned academic adviser to discuss goals and plans and to address academic progress and challenges.
- Read Penn State email regularly and ask for help when needed.
Academic Adviser Responsibilities
- Assist students in defining academic and career goals that match students’ values, interests, and abilities.
- Engage students in active discussion to help them understand the range of educational opportunities available at Penn State.
- Answer questions and clarify University policies and procedures.
- Help students plan a course of study and give advice about courses and adjustments to course loads.
- Help identify campus resources and make referrals to appropriate services.
- Actively reach out to students as interventions are needed and provide timely responses to the student and others in a student’s support network.
- Create an inclusive environment that welcomes and supports all students.
- Document advising interactions in the electronic system.