KINES 395B provides a supervised experience in leading and assisting in tasks associated with fitness testing and prescription in a variety of settings.
KINES 395B is a one-credit required course for students in the Movement Science and AEH (University Park only) option of the Kinesiology curriculum. KINES 395B is not required for students enrolled in the Kinesiology Exercise Science option.
This course is the second of the three practicum courses completed under the supervision of, but not limited to, a fitness instructor, strength and conditioning coach, wellness director, physical therapist, chiropractor, medical physician, sports marketing director, or faculty mentor. This course allows each student the opportunity to receive an introduction to hands-on experience within the health, wellness, research setting, or medical profession.
KINES 395B Course Objectives
- Complete forty-five hours of hands-on experience within the field of fitness, wellness, allied medicine, sports management, or a research setting.
- Facilitate effective communication with the internship site coordinator, site supervisor, clientele, patients, and peers throughout the entire internship experience.
- Conceptualize areas within the discipline of study in terms of what you observe, measure, and quantify in order to provide educationally sound insight in both oral and written format.
- Document accurate representation of practicum hours completed within a log with educationally sound reflection of insight into the internship experience, learning outcomes, and areas of improvement.
- Disseminate information presented by Kinesiology peers pertaining to practicum experiences, successes, and learning outcomes during an internship presentation or career fair.
- Gain knowledge, skills, and abilities within a perspective field of study that instills confidence.
- Demonstrate professionalism and ethics throughout the entire internship. This includes compliance with the following areas: internship supervisor(s), patients, clientele, and internship coordinator and staff assistants.
Students must complete a minimum of forty-five hours of hands-on experience in that field.
Enforced Prerequisite at Enrollment: KINES 295B and fifth-semester standing.
Enrollment for this course is with permission only. To enroll for this course at Penn State Altoona, you must contact Tracey Elkin at [email protected].