Information Technology is a broad-based technical and theoretical degree that prepares students to implement and use information technology to realize a variety of goals within and between all types of organizations and businesses. The program provides students with theoretical frameworks needed to use information technology to solve problems while also providing a set of applied, real-world experiences. Students acquire a broad set of skills across many areas of information technology, including programming and systems development, networking, databases, project management, and information security. Upper-level course selections allow for specific advanced options including the following:
- The Business Applications Option prepares students to pursue careers in Information technology solving business organizational problems with an emphasis on the systems processes and business operations integration.
- The Custom Information Technology Option provides the opportunity for students to pursue an approved information technology interdisciplinary or exploratory program of study.
- The Cybersecurity Option provides students with the knowledge and cyber defense skills needed to critically assess and respond to modern information security threats. The option prepares students to protect information infrastructure and data from attacks and unauthorized access.
- The Security and Risk Analysis Option prepares students to address the current and emerging security and risk challenges that face individuals, organizations, and our nation, over a variety of domains including national/homeland security, emergency and disaster management, law and crime, and enterprise risk management.
What is Information Technology?
Information Technology offers both broad organizational problem-solving skills and in-depth knowledge of current in-demand technical skills. Using technology to leverage organizational resources and address organizational challenges are at the forefront of the B.S. degree in Information Technology. The program includes required and optional courses in cybersecurity, databases, computer programming, project management, security and risk analysis, networking, web design and development, application development, and systems analysis. This broad base of skills is ideally suited for entry-level positions in all the above content areas.
You might like this program if ...
- You enjoy technology and working with others to build solutions.
- You want to create high-tech solutions to organizational and societal challenges.
- You are interested in application development and programming.
- You are interested in improving computer systems and enhancing their safety for individuals and corporations.
- You want to leverage current and emerging technologies to improve business processes.