New students, those in University housing must submit immunization records

Penn State Student Health Center

The Student Health Center on Penn State's University Park campus.

Credit: Patrick Mansell

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — As previously announced in new student and parent email communications, as well as on Penn State News, students who are new to Penn State and all students living in University housing are required to submit their immunization records using myUHS through a new three-step process.

As part of this process, which is being implemented for the fall 2016 semester, students who do not submit their immunization records prior to Sept. 15 will be unable to register for spring 2017 classes. The registration hold will be removed once a student complies with the requirements.

While Penn State’s immunization guidelines have not changed, the three-step submission process and registration hold are both new and will serve to strengthen the University’s ability to protect the health of students and the campus community.

The three-step submission process and the required documentation are both described in detail on the University Health Services website. Students can determine if they need to submit immunization records by reviewing the immunization requirements quick reference chart.

Penn State continues to require that all students living in University housing have the meningococcal conjugate vaccine that protects against infections caused by serogroups A, C, W and Y. All students new to a Penn State must be immunized against measles, mumps and rubella.

In addition, it is strongly recommended that students receive the following vaccines: serogroup B meningococcal, varicella (chicken pox), pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap), hepatitis B, hepatitis A, human papillomavirus (HPV) and pneumococcal (for students with certain medical risk factors).

This requirement is in accordance with Pennsylvania law under the College and University Student Vaccination Act and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

Students may schedule an immunization appointment with University Health Services at University Park, the health center on their campus, or a health care provider in their local community, if they need to be vaccinated.

Further guidance on immunization requirements, waiver forms, and submission instructions can be found on the University Health Services website. For additional questions about these requirements, call 814-865-2398 or email [email protected].