What do we want to accomplish?
Demonstrate the value we place on our partnership with the organization
- Thank the host site for their partnership with Penn State Altoona in the internship program.
- We value our relationship with them and the role they play in the education of our students.
- The face-to-face contact involved in the site visit is extremely important; it demonstrates more than words the high value we place on the internship partnership.
Assess the current intern's performance and possibilities for the remainder of the internship
- Discuss the host supervisor's midpoint evaluation of the student-intern. NB: You should have received and reviewed the completed midpoint evaluations from both your student and the host supervisor prior to your visit.
- Highlight the student's strengths and any area(s) for improvement. Focus on what you think is significant in the evaluation, and discuss this in more detail. Do not simply go over the evaluation form to "check off" listed categories.
- Discuss the extent to which the original work description corresponds with work performed to date. Does the written internship description accurately reflect the actual experience?
- What might we do in the remainder of the internship to make it a better experience for both the student and for the host site? For example, has the student-intern observed or become aware of something the organization does or produces that she or he would like to explore? Can the host supervisor facilitate this exploration in a way that works (literally) for the host site?
Look forward: strengthing our partnership
- Strengthen our relationship with employers/host sites
- What thoughts/opinions can the host supervisor offer on the internship process? Has everything not gone smoothly? Are there areas for improvement in the internship program/process?
- "What skills and/or knowledge would you like to see from Penn State Altoona graduates?" We want to ensure the relevancy of our graduates' education ...
- Writing Skills (e.g., what types of writing skills do students need to be successful in this field?)
- Analytic Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Knowledge-wise – is there something missing?
- In what other ways might Penn State Altoona partner with your organization – research, class projects, etc.?