All requests for VA education benefits are now made through LionPATH. There are no paper forms to complete or submit.
Penn State recommends that students use a laptop or desktop computer to complete this process. Students have not reported success using their phones to request benefits.
Meet with your academic adviser to discuss major and career plans as well as classes you should complete in the upcoming semester. You can find the name and contact information on your Degree Planning and Progress menu.
- Add your classes in LionPATH.
- After adding your classes to your schedule, run your what-if report, making sure that you specify the college, major, and option you intend to graduate from. College, major, option is sometimes referred to as program, plan, subplan. Instructions are available online. Note: make sure that the first section on page one of the report defines your major. Please do not submit audits that say “Premajor” anywhere in the first section of the report.
- Download and save your what-if report as an Adobe PDF.
- Complete the online Certification Request for VA Benefits Form, found in “My Information” on your LionPATH home base.
- Attach your what-if report at the bottom. Only if this is your first semester requesting benefits, also attach your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, showing the benefit for which you are qualified.
- Look for the LionPATH confirmation email that your form has been submitted.
Full instructions are available online.
If you have questions about running your what if report, see your academic adviser.
If you have problems completing the online request form, please stop by the office with your laptop and Penn State id+ card.
Students should complete their request for benefits as soon as they finish scheduling classes for the upcoming semester. To minimize delays in the receipt of your benefits, requests should be made no later than one month prior to the start of the semester.