Before Your Session
In preparation for your appointment, please print out a copy of the assignment you wish to work on, as well as any other materials that might help the consultant help you—texts, syllabus, etc. Though you needn’t have a draft to come in for an appointment, if you do have one, please bring two copies (one for you, one for the consultant). Reflect beforehand on what will be the most helpful use of your time during your visit.
Tips on Scheduling
- Register on our scheduling site using your Penn State email address only (i.e., [email protected]). You will only need to register once. Simply log on for future scheduling.
- Pick a day and time.
- Available times will appear on the schedule in white.
- You must schedule at least one day in advance.
- Appointments are available to schedule up to two weeks in advance.
- Pick your appointment length.
- Half hour to one hour long appointments available.
- Maximum of three appointments per week.
- Click to schedule.
- Schedule up to 24 hours in advance.
- Your appointment will turn yellow once you’ve scheduled.
- Waitlists are available if all appointments are booked on the day you wish to schedule or a specific Writing Consultant is booked who you’d like to work with. To get on a waitlist:
- Hit the clock icon to the left of the day you want to schedule.
- When a spot opens up, you will be notified by e-mail.
- Drop-in hours are also an option.
- Cancel or change an appointment by clicking on your appointment on the schedule and following the directions. You may change or cancel appointments up to two hours prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Get help by rolling over “HELP?” at the top left of the schedule. Easy instructions are available about making, modifying, and canceling appointments.
We value each appointment and hope that you will visit the Writing Commons often. So that everyone has the opportunity to take advantage of our services, we prefer that you limit your visits to no more than two a day and no more than three a week. You may schedule back-to-back appointments.
If you need to cancel an appointment, you can do so here. Please make sure to cancel ahead of time so that another writer can use your available slot.
We understand that schedules can change, but our time slots are in demand. We will allow for one missed appointment and will send you an e-mail to remind you of your oversight. If you miss more than two appointments, you will lose your scheduling privileges for the semester.