Penn State Altoona faculty member accepted into University leadership program

Stefanie Kempton

Stefanie Kempton, assistant professor of communications at Penn State Altoona, has been accepted into Penn State’s Changing the Future for Women Leaders program.

Credit: Penn State

ALTOONA, Pa. — Stefanie Kempton, assistant professor of communications at Penn State Altoona, has been accepted into Penn State’s Changing the Future for Women Leaders (CTF) program.

CTF is designed to empower women faculty across the University to create a better future for themselves, their colleagues, their scholarly communities, their students, and the whole of Penn State. Participants will learn about leadership, reflect on their own leadership philosophy, and practice effective leadership competencies. They also will create empowering peer networks to support their successes and help them navigate challenges. Participants will define their own goals and strategically pursue them via peer support and coaching.

Kempton said she is excited about taking part in the program and looking forward to developing her leadership skills while building a network of supportive women with similar goals.

“Strong leaders should serve their communities,” Kempton said. “I hope to learn tangible skills that will allow me to better serve our Penn State Altoona community both inside and outside of the classroom.”

In addition, the opportunity to be in the program is special for her because the mission of CFT aligns closely with her own research agenda.

One of the broader goals of this program is to support increased gender equity in leadership at Penn State. I research gendered inequities in the media industry, and my hope is that my research can serve as a platform to help amplify women’s voices. I believe this initiative is also a wonderful opportunity to amplify women’s voices across our University.

—Stefanie Kempton , assistant professor of communications

“One of the broader goals of this program is to support increased gender equity in leadership at Penn State,” Kempton said. “I research gendered inequities in the media industry, and my hope is that my research can serve as a platform to help amplify women’s voices. I believe this initiative is also a wonderful opportunity to amplify women’s voices across our University.”

Twenty-five women were accepted into this year’s cohort, with six spots reserved for Commonwealth Commonwealth faculty members. Kempton is the only member from Altoona this year.

The program begins this month and runs through April 2024.

Contact