Tips for On-campus Living
- Reduce or recycle cardboard at move-in.
- Pack reusable coffee containers and fill them up on campus at a discount.
- Pack reusable water bottles and fill them up at one of our multiple hydration stations.
- Pick up your first Green2Go container for a $5 deposit.
- Recycle in dorms using the recycling bin/packet provided at move-in.
- Forgot your charger, don’t panic! Plug in at one of the multiple charging stations on campus.
- Avoid single-sided printing if possible.
- Rent your textbooks! It’s cheaper than buying and reduces waste.
- Use cloth or reusable grocery bags.
- Limit your shower to five minutes.
- Wash only full loads of laundry with cold water where possible.
- Don’t leave the water running while brushing your teeth or washing dishes.
- Turn off the lights when you leave your room.
- Dress for the weather. Add/remove layers before adjusting the thermostat.
- Enable your computer’s power-saving settings.
- Take the stairs!
Green Your Lifestyle
- Go car-free! Save on a parking pass; bike, walk, or opt for public transit. All students can ride Amtran buses for free with their Penn State student ID.
- Choose meat-free meals several times per week.
- Shop local markets and small businesses.
- Join one of our food/health clubs.
- Use the outdoor recycling bins located across campus before tossing items in the trash.
- Skip a meal at home, and join others for a monthly social group soup gathering.
Your Efforts Make a Difference!
These simple steps go a long way and help contribute to a more sustainable Penn State Altoona. If you would like to meet other students with the same passion and interest in sustainability, join the Environmentalist Coalition.