May 17–25, 2017
France has a century’s long history shaped by geography, by profound historical events, and by foreign and internal forces and groups. France, and in particular Paris, has played an important role as a center of culture since the 17th century, first in Europe, and from the 19th century on, worldwide. France has also played an important role in cinema, fashion, cuisine, and technology. The importance of French culture has waxed and waned over the centuries, depending on its economic, political and military importance. French culture today is marked both by great regional and socioeconomic differences and strong unifying tendencies.
This nine-day program will allow students to discover a fascinating window into France’s history and heritage through beauty and decadence. The cathedrals of Notre Dame and Chartres inspire so much wonder today that it’s amazing such grandeur was even possible so long ago. As you travel through the Loire Valley you’ll see that the chateaux at Amboise and Chenonceau are equally awe-inspiring. As a student, you will practice the French language, partake in traditional French cuisine and learn the culture and of the French people.
Students will be responsible for the following:
- GPA of 2.5 or greater
- FRENCH 197 - 0.5 credit - Summer 2017
- Satisfactory completion of the study abroad orientation and preparatory meetings
- One page paper: Why I want to go to France?
- Pre-trip paper: Research one of the sites to be visited on the trip
- Presentation before the trip on the site you researched
- Journal in-time: Each day write about your experience in French
- Meal: evaluated for his/her use of French at a restaurant
- Photo-Collage and description: create a photo-collage and description in French of his/her experience in France.
$3095 - $3195 program cost dependent on enrollment
- Airfare to/from Washington D.C. and Paris, France
- In-country transportation
- 2 meals on Days 18th- 21st of May
- Walking tour of Paris sites:
- Opéra District, Place Vendôme. Tuileries, Île de la Cité
- Visit the Notre Dame Cathedral, Louvre
- Guided tours of Paris landmarks
- Palace De Concorde, Champs-Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides
- Guided tours of State Apartments, Hall of Mirrors, Gardens
- Loire Valley
- Visit Chartres Cathedral, Chenonceau, Amboise, Wine Cellar
- Photo stop at Chambord
- Dine at Troglodyte Dwellings
- St. Malo
- Guided tour of St. Malo
- Visit Mont St. Michel, St. Vincent Cathedral
- Visit Pointe du Hoc, Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial, Beny-Sur-Mer (Canadian War Cemetary)
- $135 -Passport
- $150 - Immunizations
- $12 - required HTH International Insurance
- $150 - Personal expenses
- $378 - $546 – 0.5 credit *
5 credit Summer- May semester
- on your semester standing and the number of credits accrued.
- Upon college, PA or non-PA resident status
- A limited number of participants will be accepted.
- Your judicial and academic records will be checked as a part of the registration process.