One Community Impacting Many
Penn State is an economic powerhouse, contributing more than $11.6 billion to the state's economy. For every $1 in state support received, Penn State generates $1.24 in state tax revenue.
With 24 locations across the Commonwealth, an academic medical center and a growing health system, Penn State is helping to improve lives in all 67 Pennsylvania counties through education, community outreach, and employment.
The facts and figures below highlight some of the regional impact of Penn State Altoona on the local community. As part of one University, geographically dispersed, Penn State Altoona students, employees, and community members have access to the resources of a top-25 research institution with a global impact.
- $137,787,151 contributed to the Pennsylvania Economy
- For every 100 campus jobs, 32 additional jobs are supported in the regional economy
- Supports 1,724 Pennsylvania jobs directly and indirectly
Penn State Altoona supports economic development in the community by partnering with local industry on workforce development; employing local faculty, staff and students; and by providing resources to local businesses and entrepreneurs.
Penn State Altoona LaunchBox
The Penn State Altoona LaunchBox, supported by the Hite Family, has assisted more than 90 entrepreneurs, graduated 30 inventors from startup programs, participated in the launch of five new companies in Pennsylvania, and raised $1 million in external matching funds.
Key Collaborators: Hite Family, Altoona Blair County Development Corporation (ABCD), ArtsAltoona, Ben Franklin Technology Partners, Blair Companies, Blair County Chamber of Commerce, City of Altoona, Kiz Resources LLC, Carnegie Foodservice Equipment & Supplies, Sheetz Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence, Saint Francis University Small Business Development Center (SBDC), SCORE.
Penn State Altoona has a rich history of giving back to the community through volunteer work, contribution to charitable causes, and provision of resources to community members. Student engagement is promoted through service-learning and community-based projects as part of the academic curricula, and community members have access to athletic and art events on campus as well as University resources such as the library. Additionally, the campus is a good steward of the environment and is committed to sustainability.
- 35% participate in community services
- 34% raise money or contribute to a charitable cause
Faculty and Staff
- 73% participate in volunteer work or activities within surrounding communities
- 11,130 total hours of community service
Supporting Pennsylvania Students
Penn State Altoona predominantly enrolls students from Pennsylvania, who reside in the west-central region of the state. More than 95 percent of Pennsylvania residents live within 30 miles of a Penn State campus, and 75 percent live within 15 miles, putting a world-class Penn State degree within driving distance for most Pennsylvanians. The campus also supports resident youths through summer enrichment camps, career and college preparation, dual enrollment programs, and women in STEM initiatives.
- 3,244 total enrollment (78% are from Pennsylvania)
- 30% of students are from Blair, Bedford, Cambria, Huntingdon, and Somerset Counties
Financial Aid for Altoona Students
- $7.2 million in total scholarships awarded to students
- 79% of students receive financial aid
- $40,832,998 in financial aid awarded to Pennsylvania resident students