Policy of discipline records retention. Student disciplinary records are part of a student's formal educational record and are maintained in the Office of Student Conduct. Student disciplinary records are kept for seven (7) years post-graduation and are reported externally for three (3) years post-graduation.
External non-disclosure. In the two semesters before a student’s graduation or any time thereafter, a student may request that his/her disciplinary record not be externally disclosed. If approved, the disciplinary record would no longer be externally disclosed but would continue to be maintained. This decision shall be at the sole discretion of the Director of the Office of Student Conduct and shall include the entire record (i.e., no partial deletions are allowed).
Eligibility information. External non-disclosure will only be considered for students who have received minor- level sanctions (typically, one semester of Probation or below). In addition, students whose violations were determined to have threatened or endangered the health or safety of any person or to have caused significant property damage will not be considered for external non-disclosure. Other criteria that will be taken into account:
- nature and severity of the violation(s),
- the impact or potential impact of the behavior on the community, and
- nature of prior incidents (if any) or repeated patterns of behavior.
Process for determination. A request for non-disclosure may be submitted anytime past the date of graduation or in the two semesters before graduation provided that at least four months have elapsed since the last disciplinary incident for which a student was found responsible. It is the University’s role to determine when external non- disclosure is warranted. There is no appeal process. Any previous decision granting external non-disclosure is revoked should another violation occur.
Instructions for Official Student Request
To request external non-reporting, please submit ALL of the following materials:
- A print-out of the LionPATH screen showing you have filed your intent to graduate this semester OR a signed letter from your academic adviser indicating your intent and ability to graduate in either the current or the next semester. Please list all remaining coursework (if applicable). If you have already graduated, please provide your date of graduation so that we may confirm.
- A statement elaborating upon the reasons you are requesting external non-reporting. Your statement must be typed and dated and must include ALL of the following:
- Your name
- Your Penn State ID number
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your signature
You may fax, mail, or hand-deliver a hard copy of your request to:
Jennifer Sabourin, Director, Office of Student Conduct
103 Slep Student Center
Penn State Altoona
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601-3760
Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing. You will be notified via email of the decision.