Fire Safety is very important to the Residence Life staff at Penn State Altoona. We ask that you comply with a few guidelines to help minimize the possibility of fire in our residence halls and for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to contact your Resident Assistant or the Office of Residence Life.
Meeting Points for all fires and fire alarms
- Cedar Hall - Intramural Fields
- Spruce Hall - Intramural Fields
- Maple Hall - Port-Sky Cafe
- Oak Hall – Slep Student Center
YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 250 FEET FROM THE BUILDING.
Failure to leave your room during any fire alarm is a violation of the community standards guidelines and students will be held accountable accordingly.
Survival - Know your exits!
- Plan ahead; know the building exits so you know how to get out of the building.
- Have your keys and a pair of shoes near your door
- If there is a fire do the following:
- Crawl – While crawling, count the # of doors you pass. In case of thick smoke this will help you know your location in the building or help you return to your room.
- Shut your door – your Residence Hall room door is a fire door and will be a line of defense to attempt to stop the spread of the fire
- Elevator – Refrain from using the elevator. A power outage may occur and then you may become stuck in the elevator.
- If you are unable to leave your room:
- Put a wet towel in front of the door to stop the smoke
- Call 911 to let them know that you are trapped in the building, provide them with your room and floor number.
- The following items are prohibited:
- Candles, incense, anything without an automatic shut-off (i.e. coffee pot, George Foreman, etc.), beanbag chairs, etc.
- Additionally, anything that is a heat producing source that may cause a fire.
- Under the discretion of the professional staff items may be asked to be removed due to fire hazards.
- If your room alarm goes off due to steam, burnt popcorn, etc.
- Open the window, exit the room/suite
- Call University Police at 814-949-5222