Penn State Altoona Nursing Career Fair
Thursday, October 14, 2021, from 2:00–4:00 p.m.
Penn Building, Third Floor
1444 11th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16601
This event is designed for nurses looking for externship, employment, and networking opportunities. First- and second-year students are encouraged to attend to begin networking with employers and learn about future opportunities.
In the event of a transition to a virtual event, email notices will be sent to provide updated information.
At this time, Penn State requires all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. Universal masking is required in all classrooms—regardless of size—as well as in meeting rooms, common areas in residence halls, and at any indoor event. See the Penn State Coronavirus Information website for the latest health and safety updates.
Your presence at this program, event, or activity indicates your agreement to adhere to all University policies, including health and safety policies, and your acknowledgment that you are voluntarily participating in this program, event, or activity. You further acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and assume any and all risk of exposure to or infection by it or any variant thereof, including, without limitation, personal injury, illness, severe complications, permanent disability, and/or death.
Information for Students
Career Fair Attire
- Wear Business Casual Attire.
The following are the companies attending the career fair. Additional participating companies will be added. Please check back regularly for the most up-to-date information.
- Arbutus Park Retirement Community, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Allegheny Lutheran Social Ministries, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Conemaugh Health Systems, Full- and Part-time Employment and Nursing Assistant
- Conemaugh Nason Medical Center, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Fresenius Medical Care, Full-time Employment
- Geisinger, Externships, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Guardian Health Care, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Hillview Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Mount Nittany Health, Externships, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Penn Highlands Healthcare, Externships, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Penn State University Ross and Carol Nese College of Nursing, Penn State Nursing graduate school options
- Penn State Health, Externships and Full-time Employment
- Scenery Hill Healthcare and Rehab Center, Externships, Full- and Part-time Employment
- Select Specialty Hospital, Full- and Part-time Employment
- The Village at Morrison Cove, Full- and Part-time Employment
- UPMC, Externships, Full- and Part-time Employment
- VFI Home Health, Part- Employment
Prepping for the Career Fair
- Wear business casual attire.
- Update your resume. If you need help creating or brushing up your resume, make an appointment with a career counselor:
- Sign up for or update your LinkedIn profile.
- Prepare your elevator speech and practice it using InterviewStream. New users will need to create an account.
- Review the company list and determine which companies you want to speak with during the fair.
- Research the company, check out their website, view recent news and current employment opportunities, view their LinkedIn page, and search their employees.
- Print multiple copies of your resume to share with employers. Need your resume printed? The career service office has resume paper and printing services available.
Tips for First- and Second-year Students
- Plan to attend the fair to talk about what opportunities exist for your major or career interest
- Business casual attire is recommended.
- Update your resume. Employers may provide feedback on resumes and skill-building for future fairs. If you need help creating or brushing up your resume, make an appointment with a career counselor:
- Prepare an elevator speech; it will make it easier to introduce yourself to the recruiters.
- Practice your elevator speech using InterviewStream. New users will need to create an account
Information for Employers
Arrival and Check-in
When arriving at the fair, enter the Penn State Altoona Faculty Parking Lot behind the Devorris Downtown Center and park in the designated areas to unload. Enter the building and take the elevator to the third floor.
Parking instructions and parking passes will be provided by email closer to the date of the event. Your reserved table will be labeled. Career service staff will be available to assist with questions and setup.
Booth Dimensions and Set-Up
Your area will be equipped with one, six-foot table and two chairs. Please contact our office if you require additional space or haven’t already requested an electric hook-up. If you think you might need an extension cord for your display, please bring it with you; the facility is unable to provide extension cords.
If you would like to send any materials or giveaways for the fair ahead of time, please have them delivered by Tuesday, October 12. To ensure that any pre-shipped materials arrive without delay and are waiting for you at your booth on the day of the fair, please make sure that your company or organization name and the number of packages you have sent are clearly marked on the outside of each box or package (e.g., "ABC Company, 1 of 2"). Address all materials for pre-shipment to:
Nursing Career Fair
[Your Employer Name]
1431 12th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16601
Finally, be sure to bring along the tracking numbers you used when you initially shipped your packages—in case something is lost, the tracking numbers will help you determine whether or not the package ever actually arrived—and return labels for your preferred carrier so you can have your remaining materials or items shipped back to your workplace the day after the Fair.
Employers are responsible for arranging any needed return shipping of materials to their workplace following the fair. Please bring return shipping labels with you for the carrier of your choice.
Once you have packed up your booth, please see one of the Career Service staff to assist with arrangements to have your materials picked up for return.