March 2–11, 2018
The Penn State Altoona Enactus team is partnering with Love in Action International Ministries and Andrea’s Home of Hope and Joy (the orphanage they operate in Bolivia) to research and analyze the economics surrounding their homestead farm. While on the ground in Bolivia, the group will conduct field research in this area. The group has also been analyzing the feasibility of opening a cafe in a nearby city. This cafe would not only provide sustainable income for the orphanage but would also provide an opportunity for students from the orphanage to learn marketable skills.
The success of the Bolivia trip depends on the responsible and enthusiastic participation of all team members. Students will be responsible for the following:
- Attend group meetings before/after the spring break trip
- Fall semester - mandatory Thursday PI2 meetings in room 328 of the Penn Building. Additional optional meetings every Monday and Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. in 222 Penn Building.
- Spring semester - mandatory Thursday PI2 meetings in 328 Building. Optional meetings time TBD.
- Participate in group fundraising efforts, community service, and social events.
$750 Program Costs:
- 2 nights at the Hotel Libertador (one night arriving and one night before leaving)-Santa Cruz, Bolivia
- 7 nights at Hogar de Andrea-Guayaramerín, Bolivia
- In-country transportation (Santa Cruz and Guayaramerín)
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner (Santa Cruz and at Hogar de Andrea)
- From Guayaramerín we will take a boat and cross the Mamore River to visit Brazil-visit a museum, walk around the city and eat ice cream.
- Bolivia VISA-purchased at the airport when we arrive.
- Ecojet-airfare from Santa Cruz to Guayaramerín and back
Other Expenses (separate from LIAIM):
- Passport - $135
- Immunizations ~ $250
- Call 814-889-4244 to make an appointment with UPMC travel clinic - $50 consultation
- Typhoid vaccination $62
- Yellow fever vaccination $82
- Malaria medication - cost based on prescription
- Hep A $90 - for each of two shots*
- Hep B $70 - for each of three shots (May already have)
- HTH Insurance ~ $10
- Personal spending money - $100
Estimated $800 (with SGA grant, $400)
Tentative Total Costs: $1750
- November 20 - Apply for a passport
- November 30 - A $100 nonrefundable deposit is required to hold your place in this program
- November 30 - Airfare contract
- January 11 - Submit a copy of passport to Prof. Wood
- January 15 - Complete TSN training
- January 15 - Purchase HTH insurance
- February 1 - Obtain immunizations
Cynthia Wood, Penn State Altoona PI2 Project Adviser. Professor Wood’s expertise in social entrepreneurship and international project management will be invaluable to the team.
[email protected] | 814-934-8799
Melissa Kohler, Instructor of Business Administration. Professor Kohler brings a wealth of experience in business, marketing, agriculture, and international work.
[email protected] | 814-949-5053