This update includes the following information:
- New Instruction Modes Defined
- Understanding Changes to Your Fall Schedule
- How to Search for Classes by New Instruction Modes
- Final Notes
New Instruction Modes Defined
Students meet in an assigned classroom at the time assigned in the course schedule. Students are expected to attend all classes in-person. In the event of occasional and/or temporary absence, students will follow the attendance policy of the University, with some flexibility.
Mixed Mode Instruction
A combination of instructional modes is deployed at the instructor's discretion to meet social distancing requirements in physical spaces, while also providing students with opportunities for face-to-face interaction and access to specialized on-campus spaces and equipment.
Remote Synchronous Instruction
Students attend all classes remotely at the scheduled time. Faculty will identify the communication and collaboration tools appropriate for real-time student interaction and engagement in their course. In the event of occasional and/or temporary absence, students will follow the attendance policy of the University, with some flexibility.
Remote Asynchronous Instruction
Course material is made available for students to work through on their own schedules with deadlines for activities and assessments. A variety of communication and collaboration tools allow students to interact and engage at times that work best for them.
Understanding Changes to Your Current Schedule
When you look at your fall schedule in LionPATH, you won't see a listed Instruction Mode. Here are a few indicators which will help you understand how your classes may have been updated:
- In-Person Instruction will show days, times, and a classroom
- Mixed Mode Instruction will show days, times, a classroom and a separate line noted with ZOOM
- Remote Synchronous Instruction will show days, times and a ZOOM notation (no classroom listed)
- Remote Asynchronous Instruction will NOT show days, times or a classroom; you will only see WEB noted for the class
If you have questions regarding certain classes, please contact your instructors. They will be able to give you more details regarding the class.
How to Search for Classes by New Instruction Modes
- From the LionPATH Student Home Base, select the Find Classes button
- Select the appropriate term (semester) and campus
- Enter your search criteria into the Class Search sections. When entering your search criteria, it is best to work from top to bottom.
- To display additional search options, expand the additional search criteria section by selecting the green arrow to the left of Additional Search Criteria. The additional search criteria fields allow you to narrow down the search based on multiple variables. For MODE OF INSTRUCTION, you can filter the schedule by the following:
- COVID In Person,
- COVID Mixed Mode,
- COVID Remote (synchronous instruction), and
- COVID Web (asynchronous instruction)
- Once all the criteria are selected, select the Search button
Also, note that courses previously coded as WEB or HYBRID may still have these codes. You may want to expand your search to include these as well.
A Few Final Notes
- The fall 2020 schedule will continue to change. Please watch your schedule for updates.
- If you have additional questions regarding your fall schedule, please contact your adviser or individual faculty members.
- Continue to check your Penn State email and the Penn State Altoona webpage for important fall updates.
- Check out Penn State Keep Learning for additional University-wide information