There are many factors that go into qualifying for a major in the Smeal College of Business. This tool is designed to facilitate discussion with your academic adviser. The numbers, interpretations, or other statements produced by this tool are not final and conclusive and thereby do not guarantee acceptance into a Smeal major. It is important to consult with your academic adviser to verify your qualification for an academic major under the applicable standards.
The interpretations provided by this tool are based on information obtained from Penn State's University Faculty Senate Policies for Students and the University Undergraduate Advising Handbook. Because this information is subject to change, it is important that you also consult with an academic adviser to make sure that the information is current and applicable to your situation.
Matriculating from pre-major status to enrollment in a major is contingent upon the timing and completion of cumulative credits at Penn State.
- Cumulative credits are credits (courses) taken at Penn State.
- Advanced Placement (AP) credits and credits earned at other institutions are included in Total Credits but are not included in the cumulative credit total.
- Once a minimum of 40 Penn State credits completed - cumulative credits but no more than 59 cumulative credits are earned and entrance to major criteria is met, students apply for a major.
- Typically, the application period (40-59 credits) is during the spring semester of the second year of study.
- Students who have completed 59.1 or more cumulative credits who are still in pre-major status become ineligible to apply for a Smeal major and will become ineligible to continue their enrollment in the college.