HAZING is any action taken or any situation created intentionally that causes embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule and risks emotional and/or physical harm to members of a group or team, whether new or not, regardless of the person’s willingness to participate.
If you’re not sure whether or not something happening to you or to someone else is hazing, ask yourself these questions:
- Would I feel comfortable participating in this activity if my parents were watching?
- Does participation in this activity violate my values or those of this organization?
- Would we get in trouble if a school/college administrator walked by and saw us?
- Am I being asked to keep these activities a secret?
- Am I doing anything illegal?
- Is this causing emotional or physical distress or stress to myself or to others?
- Am I going to be able to get a job if I have to put a criminal arrest on my application?
To report hazing ...
- Visit Penn State Altoona's Early Alert Page
- Visit the Center for Student and Civic Engagement at 126 Slep Student Center and ask to speak to the Director
- Visit Campus Police